Welcome to the History Department at the University of Kansas
Take some time to search through our website. You’ll find information about our programs, our courses, and our prolific faculty, and you can hear the voices of undergraduates and graduate students who have passed through the Department. Please feel free to contact any of the administrative staff and faculty with your questions.
We are excited to welcome three new faculty this year!
Beth Bailey, Foundation Distinguished Professor, American History
David Farber, Roy A. Roberts Distinguished Professor, Modern America
Andrew Denning, Assistant Professor, Modern Europe
History Department Mission Statement
Historians at the University of Kansas train individuals to appreciate the complexity and diversity of the human experience, to question simple explanations, to evaluate evidence in multiple forms, and to offer insightful interpretations with clarity of expression. As a nationally prominent department at a major research university, the Department of History seeks to:
- Produce excellent scholarship that pushes the boundaries of historical inquiry.
- Mentor the next generation of historians through our PhD program, one in which our students benefit from advisors who serve as models of actively engaged scholars and one in which our students develop research, writing, and teaching skills that make them competitive for academic and non-academic positions across the nation.
- Educate undergraduate students, both history majors and non-majors, particularly about the value of research and help them develop their own analytical and communication skills that will serve them well in whatever they choose to do.
- Serve as leaders in expanding the University of Kansas' commitment to globalize its curriculum and promote an understanding of the many diverse places and peoples around the world.
- Reach out to the public, particularly within Kansas, to advance its understanding of history and to encourage an appreciation for historical thinking.
By adopting this mission, the Department of History will work with other units across the University of Kansas to prepare students to understand the complex origins of today's world and its challenges and prepare them to make intelligent decisions about the future.