Finding a place to live in a new city can be difficult. Below you will find some helpful aids and links to get your search for suitable graduate student housing started.
Things to consider when looking for housing:
- Type of Community: undergraduate, graduate, working professionals, families, etc.
- Proximity to Campus: The Lawrence Transit System is free for students. You might consider looking for housing that falls on one of their bus routes. Lawrence is a bike friendly city. If you plan on biking to campus, consider living on top of Mt. Oread to avoid a hilly ride. In general, this means west of campus.
- Noise and Traffic Concerns: If you choose housing located near Memorial Stadium or Allen Field House, please be aware that you will likely experience high noise levels and encounter difficult traffic and impossible parking on game days. Moreover, housing near Memorial Stadium is usually populated by undergraduate students, which may or may not be an ideal living situation for the reclusive and studious graduate student. In general, noise is a concern for housing located north and east of campus between around 15th and 9th streets, Iowa and Massachusetts.
- Cost: If you are interested in sharing living expenses, a number of apartment complexes offer roommate matching services.
Graduate student-friendly locations
- Birchwood Gardens
- Campus Court at Naismith
- Eddingham Place
- Harvard Square Apartments
- The Malls
- Park 25
- The Stone Meadows Townhomes
- Stouffer Place (KU Graduate Student Housing)
- Tuckaway Apartments
- West Meadows
- West Hills
Property Management Companies
Locations known to be popular among undergraduate students
- Berkley Flats
- The Connection
- Hawks Pointe (three different locations)
- Legends Place
- The Reserve