Prospective students are eligible to apply to the graduate program in their Junior year. The deadline for applications is January 15. The following requirements must be met by this time:
- Major GPA of at least 3.5 and cumulative GPA of at least 3.00;
- On track to complete all requirements for a B.A. degree in History from KU with one additional year of study beyond the junior year.
Applicants must complete an Application for Graduate Study online. The following information should be gathered in advance and uploaded with the application:
- Two letters of recommendation (preferably from professors in the major). You will be asked to enter the names and e-mail addresses for two recommenders while completing the online application. Your recommenders will automatically receive an e-mail requesting their letters when you submit the application. It is not necessary for your recommenders to send hard copies of their letters to the department if they submit their letters electronically. Should a recommender feel uncomfortable with the online submission process, please contact the department for more options.
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- A one-page statement of educational and career objectives
- A writing sample, preferably from an history course, 5-10 pages of text not including the bibliography, endnotes, or images following endnotes.
Upon review of the Application for Admission, the History Department will notify the student of his or her eligibility to begin coursework in the program the following Fall semester. This approval allows students to count History courses numbered 500 or above toward both the B.A. and the M.A. degrees during their final year of undergraduate coursework. The student must be approved to begin coursework toward the master’s degree prior to enrolling in any 500 level or above courses that are to count for both undergraduate and graduate credit.
During the final semester of coursework for the B.A. degree students must apply for final acceptance into the graduate program. Acceptance to the graduate program is contingent upon the following:
• Successful completion of all requirements for the B.A. degree
• Grades of B+ or above in all History courses taken in the final year of undergraduate study
• Submission of an M.A. Program of study (To be submitted to the Director of Graduate Studies by April 15)
Program of Study
During their last semester of undergraduate course work students in the Accelerated M.A. track must submit a Program of Study Worksheet. Students are expected to identify three fields of study (geographical, thematic, and chronological) in consultation with their primary advisor. The Program of Study Worksheet also designates a Primary Advisor and two other faculty advisors as the official members of the student’s M.A. Committee.